Three years ago today, I was fired from my dream job of designing bowling balls. I thought that was the worst day of my life. In retrospect, it was one of the most empowering days of my life. In the last three years, I have grown more as a person than I did in the prior 13 years. I thought that I was helping bowling by designing bowling balls. Maybe it did have an impact, but little did I know that there was so much more to helping grow bowling; but, first I had to become a better person.
They say you are a sum of the people you hang around. I had put myself in a situation that was unhealthy, destructive and not growing bowling. When I was fired and went through the roller coaster of emotions, I realized that my true passion was helping people through education. I had been a student of the game my whole life and had now been given opportunities to help others. I met a bowler’s life coach… yep such a thing exists. He worked with me and helped me become a much better person. He gave me a life plan that included 12 constructs to add to my life immediately. I want to share them with you as I feel these can apply to a lot of situations.
- Listen to what people do; not to what they say.
- Love is a verb; not just a feeling.
- Use the five A’s of charm to create psychological debt with people. Everyone who you come into contact with wants: Attention, Admiration, Appreciation, Acceptance and Approval.
- Some of your friends and family want you to do well… but they don’t want you to do better than them.
- Own all of your issues from now on whether you created them, or not. If you don’t own them, you can’t change them. It is all on you!
- Please learn to say and use the word “No.” This way you won’t be stressed out at any time.
- Monitor all of your commitments. Our commitments define who and what we are.
- Be mindful and careful who you share your knowledge and expertise with. If they don’t add value to you, then do not add value to them; unless you receive some satisfaction from it.
- You have a plenty market period left in your life. You have at least 40 more years, with a solid foundation, to finish creating the life that you always wanted.
- Do not listen to anyone who provides negative reinforcement in regards to your life.
- Not everyone has the right to speak into your life.
- Please read one book a month on some type of inspiration.
This will direct your thinking in the right direction. These lessons have changed my life for the better. If you are in a dark place, depressed, or just unhappy, I encourage you to read them aloud and take them to heart. Sometimes, in order to become better, you have to break free and start over. I am thankful to my family and real friends. You see, real friends are there when you have nothing to offer.
Today I am healthier, physically stronger, much happier, and most of all grateful for this day 3 years ago.
I am focused and committed to Creating the Difference in bowling.