Creating the Difference is a company centered on education and innovation. May 8 2020 marks the 5 year anniversary of the company. To celebrate, we wanted to share something new with you. While the bowling industry has been essentially shut down, CtD has been working on some new products aimed at helping bowlers feel safer once we are permitted to return to the lanes.
Wearing a face mask has quickly become a new normal for going outside of the home and in many places it is a requirement for entry. Wearing a face mask can be awkward and/or uncomfortable. As a result, we set out to develop and test a face mask for bowling. We have been extremely busy testing a many different materials and types of face masks. We have tested everything from medical grade N95 masks to multi-purpose masks and from homemade masks to single use masks - all in search of something that could be worn for bowling. We had two main goals in mind:
- It couldn't obstruct breathing
- Reduce the ability to fog up glasses
We even worked with a food company for testing to make sure we had a versatile product. We took various options through a series of tests to narrow them down. Here is some insight on some of the different questions we asked and testing we conducted for development:
- Does the mask do anything?
- ie. is it antimicrobial, does it have a filter, etc.
- We relied on supplier information and conversations with chemists and material science engineers to help narrow down the selection of options
- Can you comfortably wear it continuously for hours?
- We spoke with essential workers and front line workers to determine the styles they found most comfortable for long hours
- How does it feel through physical activity?
- We wore the mask while walking, running, biking and of course bowling to see how each type performed. By the way nothing is great to run in. I mean, it's barely doable without a mask let alone with something on your face. We wanted to make sure it worked while bowling so we had to get creative for our testing:
- Is it reusable?
- We washed them to see how they would hold up.
Once we completed our interviews and testing and analyzed the data, we ended up with an option that passed all of the tests successfully.
This is the Official CtD Bowling Face Mask.
Features and Benefits
- 3 multi-filtration layers: The outer layer is water resistant, the middle and inner layers are anti-bacterial for more protection.
- Gentle on skin and breathable
- Offers UV protection
- Has an adjustable built in nose piece for a better fit.
- This helps minimize glasses fogging
- The straps offer a 4 way stretch.
- This help minimize "the mouse ears." This is where the straps pull on your ears and make them stick out like a mouse.
- Has a seam that is sewn flat.
- This keeps the seam from irritating your nose.
- It is reusable and washable.
- Simply hand wash with cold water and mild detergent.
- Do not bleach.
- Rinse with water and let air dry.
How to Properly Wear a Mask
- Wash your hands before wearing the mask.
- Remove your glasses if necessary.
- Make sure the nose piece is pointed upward.
- Apply the ear straps from ear to ear.
- Cover the mouth and nose. Adjust the nose piece if needed.
- Make sure there are no open gaps between your face and the mask.
- Put glasses back on over top of the mask if necessary.
Safer at League Kit
As a bonus, this product is also offered as part of a new Safer at League Bowling Kit. This kit includes a CtD Bowling Face Mask and a CtD Power Pad. The USBC has temporarily approved Isopropyl Alcohol commonly known as Rubbing Alcohol during competition. There's no better way to apply a cleaner to your bowling ball than with a CtD Power Pad. Click here to read the USBC press release.
Almost all bowling towels and leather shammies are not made to be used wet. With this temporary rule change, you will need a way to apply the rubbing alcohol to the bowling ball to keep it clean while you're bowling. The waterproof CtD Power Pad solves this problem and is machine washable.
As a free gift, we are also including an empty 4 oz bottle with an easy flip top dispenser. This will make traveling to bowling with liquid more convenient and easier to dispense.
We want you to stay safe and have fun enjoying the sport of bowling.
Pro Tip: Keep one mask in your car and one in your home. That way if you forget it you always have a backup.
These products are available and ships 5/11/20
Here is a little comparison of different types of Masks. The CtD Face Mask is a cloth mask.
This product is not a replacement for medical grade Personal Protective Equipment. The decision to use this mask is solely your own. This mask is not intended to replace other recommended measures to stop the community spread of Covid-19, such as social distancing, washing your hands and refraining from touching your face. Follow the latest advice of the CDC and your own health care professionals as to how to best keep yourself safe.