Bowling — Pro Shops

The Down & Dirty of Interchangeable Thumbs

Posted by Levi Allen on

Today, let’s talk about interchangeable thumb systems. It is almost universally agreed that having interchangeable thumbs is yet another way to improve your game through consistency. They offer the ability to have the same feel in every ball, and the ability to have multiple sizes of thumb holes eliminating most tape use. There are three major brands available today: Turbo Switch Grip, Ultimate and Vise. Let’s take a closer look at these options. Turbo Switch Grip General Switch Grips are a 3-piece assembly (outer sleeve, inner sleeve, and slug/insert). They only allow the use of a 1-1/4” or 1-3/8” slug/insert....

Read more →


Industry Showcase

Posted by Ronald Hickland on

Tuesday was the annual Industry Showcase.  We were able to throw almost all new and upcoming releases from Brunswick, Radical, DV8, Storm, Rotogrip, 900 Global, Hammer, Track, Columbia 300 and Ebonite.  These were the only companies allowed at the showcase.  During the showcase, we had the same tester throw all of the balls.  Here are the specs on our tester: Right-handed Ball Speed: 18.5 Rev Rate: 400 Axis Rotation: 45 degrees Axis Tilt: 10 degrees We used his feedback, the information released by the manufacturers, as well as what we saw on the lanes from other bowlers to come up...

Read more →


How Drilling and Core Shape Affect Performance

Posted by Ronald Hickland on

For the pro shops out there, this blog of Creating the Difference will compare two different layouts in various core shapes for a specific style of player to see which hooks more – a 3.5 pin from the axis or a 5.5 pin from the axis. In this test, we will examine the performance effect of these layouts as well as the mass property changes through drilling. To begin, here is some information about the bowler used in this test: Left-handed League average 247 High Series 899 Rev Rate 450 RPM Ball Speed 21.16 MPH Axis Rotation 45 degrees Axis...

Read more →


What is the difference between Pin up and Pin down Drilling on a Bowling Ball?

Posted by Ronald Hickland on

The explanation given in this blog is valid for 95% of bowlers. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. For this blog, we will stick to the majority of bowlers who will be reading it. If you feel that you are in the other 5%, check out this video to learn more about ball motion. The above pictures are of the exact same ball with two different layouts.  The colors indicate the numerical impact that drilling has on the core shape. As you put holes in a bowling ball, the colors shift based on the size and depth of...

Read more →


Understanding Profit Margin for Pro Shops

Posted by Ronald Hickland on

Part of Creating the Difference is about education.  We want to support pro shops and consumers alike.  Today we want to educate on the business side a little bit.  As a company, profitability is the main way we measure success.  Growing CtD, we have used many business principles to determine our business plan.  When we expanded into the pro shops, we had to help our team understand some of those principles to keep the stores profitable. We want to share some of those principles with you in the hopes you may be able benefit as well.  Today we are going...

Read more →